The history of Wrocław began here. The stronghold in Ostrów Tumski id dated back to the beginning of 10th century. In 1000 a bishopric was established here. When the princes moved to the left-bank castle, Ostrów became catholic area. Tumski Bridge was a border between the areas of the bishopric and the city. There are two neo-gothic statues at the entry to the bridge. One of them is St John the Baptist, the patron of the city, the second St Jadwiga. The main monument is St. John the Baptist Archcathedra. There is Holy Cross and St. Bartholomew Collegiate Church in the Church Square.